It is said that the art of making fine bourbon first took place on the site of The Woodford Reserve Distillery in 1812.
Two hundred years later, the distillery was designated as an official National Historic Landmark.
Although the property went through several ownership changes and was once used for agricultural storage, the Brown-Forman Corporation repurchased it in 1994.
After a total renovation of the buildings and the addition of a visitor center, the distillery opened to the public in 1996.
Contact us today to add Woodford to your custom trail tour.
Types of Tours at Woodford Reserve
There are five guided experiences at the Distillery that explore the history and technology of Woodford Reserve.
Tickets are priced differently based on the experience and all guests 21 and over can taste the award-winning craft bourbon at the conclusion of the tours.
- Path to Flavor Tour: This tour starts with the distillery grounds and explores the five main elements that go into Woodford Reserve flavors. This is an easy walking tour with very few stairs. The tour runs while the distillery is working, so you get to see the real work in action. You get to walk inside original buildings, well over 100 years old to see the entire bourbon-making process. For this tour, Woodford is often booked out several months in advance and all tours are capped at 16 guests, so early reservations are required.
- The Spectacle for the Senses: Want to get straight to the sipping? You can skip the tour and enjoy a 30-minute guided tasting with five samples from the Woodford family of brands. For the tastings, bourbon and whiskey samples are on rotation, pending availability and reservations must be made online ahead of time.
- VIP Master Distiller Tour: For the ultimate Woodford Reserve fan, this two-hour tour with Master Distiller and/or Assistant Master Distiller is a true VIP experience. With our leaders at the helm, you’ll get a behind-the-scenes tour of the Distillery, Lab, Warehouse, and of course, a tasting. Each ticket includes a limited edition bottle and the experience is limited to 8 guests. This tour is only available as the distiller’s schedules permit and are subject to change.
- Innovation Inspired Tour: This tour option focuses on what’s next for Woodford Reserve. You’ll still receive an in-depth tour of the property, but the tasting includes a more innovative line up and each guest receives a Woodford Reserve branded rocks glass at the end.
- Distillery Series Portfolio Tour: This experience showcases the grounds and buildings with a special treat for participants. The tasting includes three Distillery Series which are only available at the distillery and select local markets. Each ticket also includes three Distillery Series 375ml bottles to take home with you!
Woodford Distillery is open seven days a week and is located in Versailles, KY. The visitor’s center is spacious and well-stocked with unique gifts for the bar enthusiast. There’s also an outside bar to enjoy with a beautiful patio and a rustic atmosphere.
Although tours fill up fast, even if you don’t have a reservation, the history and grounds alone are worth the trip for both history lovers and bourbon geeks.
Become a Woodford Friend
Because the history of bourbon is the history of Kentucky, no visit is complete without stopping at the Woodford Reserve Distillery.
Contact Bluegrass Transportation to reserve your custom bourbon tour in the Bluegrass State.