Jim Beam Distillery and family of whiskeys dates back to the early 1800s when the U.S. government began offering incentives for settlers in the colonies to move west and grow corn.
One of those farmers was Jacob Beam who packed up and relocated to the Kentucky region of Virginia.
Jacob distilled his excess corn into a sweet whiskey bourbon using his father’s original recipe.
Over 200 years later, the Beam family legacy has created a business empire.
They have now sold more than 17 million barrels using the same yeast strain since 1931.
The James B. Beam Distilling Company Outpost is the perfect spot for the bourbon obsessed to get a little taste of history and a backstage look at what goes into each bottle.
Types of Tours at Jim Beam
There are a myriad of options for bourbon enthusiasts at Jim Beam Distillery.
You can choose from tours, cocktail classes, tastings, warehouse education, or a full-day immersive distillery dive.
Tickets vary in price depending on the experience.
- Beam Made Bourbon: This is a behind-the-barrel tour of the entire distillery and bourbon-making process. This tour is 90 minutes, runs Wednesday through Sunday, and includes a tasting for those over 21.
- Meet The Family Tasting: If you don’t have a full hour (or more) to dedicate to a tour, you can always book a short tasting. This is just a 20-minute presentation into the Beam family sharing some of the best stories over a glass or two.
- Noe Your Cocktails: Curious of how our mixologists create magic in a glass? This class offers a hands-on, table-side experience with a range of bourbon cocktails to show you how to create your custom favorite.
- Basil Culinary Experiences: Looking for something tasty to pair with your whiskey? The Basil Culinary Experience is about 45 minutes of sampling both whiskey expressions along with small bites created by our executive chef at the all-new Kitchen Table Restaurant.
- Behind The Beam With Freddie Noe: This is a fully immersive and all-day tour that takes you inside Jim Beam with Master Distiller Fred Noe and his son, Beam family distiller, Freddie Noe. This VIP tour is only offered once a month, includes lunch, and is approximately 4 hours long. Highly recommended for true enthusiasts.
- Thief Your Own: This is a new tour experience that allows you to become a distiller. At over five hours long, this process is transformative and even allows you to pull six of your bourbons straight from the source.
To enjoy your visit even more, reserve private transportation from Bluegrass Executive Transportation. We provide custom rides to all stops on the Kentucky Distillery Trail.
Whether you’re booked for a tour or not, the outpost is worth checking out.
It’s big and spacious, so even busy days don’t feel crowded.
The walls of the outpost tell a story all their own and they have a beautiful digital display that highlights the family tree.
Photos line the entire place and give the sense of a true family home. Visitors can even add their photographs to the Beam family’s wall.
The gift shop has plenty to offer and a brand-new onsite restaurant provides a great place to stop for a bite to eat. The menu offers delicious smoked meats and of course, craft cocktails.
Join the Family
The Beam family was calling Kentucky home before it was even an official state. No visit to the Bluegrass State is complete without a visit to the Jim Beam Distillery.
Step back in time, enjoy a drink, and join the family.
Contact us today to craft your custom trail tour.